President Trump offered a possible solution for professional athletes who continue to protest the national anthem Friday; asking NFL players to compile a list of people they claim have been mistreated and the President will consider possible pardons.
The President was speaking with reporters before departing for the G7 summit in Quebec, Canada when he weighed in on player protests ahead of the upcoming football season.
“I’m going to say to them: Instead of talking, it’s all talk, talk, talk… I am going to ask all of those people to recommend to me people that they think were unfairly treated by the justice system,” said Trump.
“I’m going to ask them to recommend to me people that were unfairly treated. Friends of theirs or people they know about and I’m going to take a look at those applications. If I find — if my committee finds they’re unfairly treated, we will pardon them or at least let them out,” Trump said.
Watch the President’s possible solution above.
AMERICA'S GAME? NFL REJECTS Pro-Veteran SUPER BOWL Ad
The National Football League continued to reach new lows on Tuesday; flat-out rejecting a one-page advertisement in the NFL’s official Super Bowl Program that urged all Americans to “Please Stand” during the performance of the national anthem, reports USA Today.
The ad -submitted by pro-veteran’s organization AMVETS- urged all those attending the big game to remain standing as the ‘Star-Spangled Banner’ rings out inside the arena. The material was ultimately rejected by the league for violating the NFL’s commitment to avoiding “political statements” in the program.
“The Super Bowl game program is designed for fans to commemorate and celebrate the game, players, teams and the Super Bowl,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told USA Today.
“It’s never been a place for advertising that could be considered by some as a political statement. The NFL has long supported the military and veterans and will again salute our service members in the Super Bowl with memorable on-field moments that will be televised as part of the game,” he added.
The NFL’s been struggling to come to terms with a disastrous 2017 postseason following months of players “taking a knee” during the performance of the national anthem. President Trump rocketed the issue into the spotlight after he called for a full-fledged boycott of the NFL until league owners demand their athletes remain standing during the ‘Star-Spangled Banner.’
BLIND SIDE: NFL 'Mega' Sponsor Suddenly Pulls Ads from League
The controversy surrounding the National Football League continued to take its toll on the organization’s beleaguered bottom-line on Wednesday, after a ‘mega’ sponsor decided to pull its advertisements from future games for the remainder of the season.
In response to player protests during the national anthem, the owner of a New Jersey ‘mega’ car dealership decided to pull its ads for the rest of the 2017 season, or until league officials and owners crackdown on political demonstrations during the performance of the ‘Star-Spangled Banner.’
“The National Football League and its owners have shown their fans and marketing partners that they do not have a comprehensive policy to ensure that players stand and show respect for America and our flag during the playing of the national anthem,” said the owner of Flemington Car and Truck Company. “We have cancelled all of our NFL advertising on the Optimum and Infinity [cable] networks.”
“As the NFL parses the important nationwide issues of ‘social justice’ and ‘freedom of speech,’ it is clear that a firm direction by them is not forthcoming,” he added.
The NFL found itself in the midst of a media firestorm last month, following a string of player protests against the national anthem; prompting a steep decline in ticket sales, merchandise, and television viewership.