White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders officially responded to CNN’s latest lawsuit Tuesday; saying the cable news network was “grandstanding” after correspondent Jim Acosta’s press credentials were suspended.
“We have been advised that CNN has filed a complaint challenging the suspension of Jim Acosta’s hard pass. This is just more grandstanding from CNN, and we will vigorously defend against this lawsuit,” Sanders said. “CNN, who has nearly 50 additional hard pass holders, and Mr. Acosta is no more or less special than any other media outlet or reporter with respect to the First Amendment. After Mr. Acosta asked the President two questions—each of which the President answered—he physically refused to surrender a White House microphone to an intern, so that other reporters might ask their questions. This was not the first time this reporter has inappropriately refused to yield to other reporters.”
Acosta was stripped of his credentials after he refused to hand a White House microphone over to a staffer; continually screaming questions at the Commander-in-Chief after he was repeatedly told “enough.”
“Honestly, I think you should let me run the country and you run CNN,” the president said. “That’s enough.”
ACOSTA DENIED: White House ‘Suspends’ Jim Acosta’s Press Pass ‘Until Further Notice’
CNN’s senior White House correspondent Jim Acosta had his press pass “suspended” Wednesday after a fiery exchange with President Trump during a post-midterm briefing, reports Fox News.
“I’ve just been denied entrance to the WH,” Acosta tweeted Wednesday. “Secret Service just informed me I cannot enter the WH grounds for my 8pm hit.”
I’ve just been denied entrance to the WH. Secret Service just informed me I cannot enter the WH grounds for my 8pm hit
— Jim Acosta (@Acosta) November 8, 2018
Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders confirmed the move in a written statement, saying his credentials were revoked after “placing his hands on a young woman just trying to do her job as a White House intern,” adding the behavior was “absolutely unacceptable.”
“This conduct is absolutely unacceptable. It is also completely disrespectful to the reporter’s colleagues not to allow them an opportunity to ask a question. President Trump has given the press more access than any President in history,” she added.
ACOSTA DENIED: Jim Acosta BOOTED from White House by Secret Service
CNN’s senior correspondent Jim Acosta was barred entry to the White House this week after a new secret service agent reportedly failed to recognize the reporter; telling him to retrieve his press pass before entering the premises.
The altercation was captured on video Wednesday, showing Acosta asking to be allowed entry to the White House as the Secret Service agent refused; eventually forcing the journalist to leave the area.
Acosta is no stranger when it comes to controversy regarding the President.
The CNN correspondent came under fire earlier this year after he publicly harassed the First Family during the annual White House Easter festivities.