The lone gunman behind the devastating shooting at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in south Florida told social workers of his murderous fantasies in 2014; raising more questions over whether the deadly assault could have been prevented by law enforcement months before it occurred.
According to the Miami Herald, 19-year old Nikolas Cruz informed his school therapist that he had “dark fantasies” and “dreams” of murdering fellow teenagers and being “covered in blood.”
“A May 3, 2014, notation in a Broward County schools psychiatric file said Cruz ‘reported [a dream] last week of him killing people and covered in blood. He smiled and told the therapist that sometimes he says things for shock value,” writes the Herald.
Following the revelation, administrators at the Cross Creek School -where Cruz was enrolled at the time- developed a “safety plan” to cope with the young man’s erratic behavior; including the removal of sharp objects and encouraging him to “verbalize” his mental health issues.
The startling new revelation raises more red flags and fuels speculation that local law enforcement and the FBI could have prevented the mass shooting that took the lives of 17 individuals and injured scores more.
BROWARD BOMBSHELL: Florida Governor ORDERS PROBE as Sheriff REFUSES to Resign
Governor Rick Scott is opening an official probe into the Broward County Sheriff’s Department over their mishandling of the deadly school shooting that rocked southern Florida earlier this month; demanding answers as Sheriff Scott Israel refuses to resign.
Scott formally requested the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to launch an investigation into the agency on Sunday night, saying there needs to be an “immediate” inquiry following reports four Deputies refused to enter the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School during and after the attack.
“I have asked for FDLE to immediately investigate the law enforcement response and will continue to review this matter as more facts come out. There must be an independent investigation and that is why I asked the FDLE Commissioner to immediately start this process,” said Scott’s statement.
The Governor’s request comes as Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel refuses to resign in the wake of his department’s botched response; telling CNN’s Jake Tapper he’s “given amazing leadership to this agency” and that you “don’t measure a person’s leadership by a deputy not going in.”
Watch Israel’s comments above.
BROWARD DEPUTY SPEAKS: Says ‘I am NO Coward,’ DEFENDS Shooting Response
The Broward County Sheriff Deputy who maintained a “defensive position” and refused to enter a south Florida high school during a shooting spoke publicly Monday, saying he is “no coward” and responded to the incident according to his training.
Deputy Scot Peterson -harshly criticized for failing to enter the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School during the massacre- released his first statement on the incident this week, saying he “heard gunshots” and believed the shooter “was outside.”
According to the Herald Sun, Peterson “heard gunshots but believed those gunshots were originating from outside of the buildings on the school campus.”
“BSO trains its officers that in the event of outdoor gunfire one is to seek cover and assess the situation in order to communicate what one observes with other law enforcement,” added the statement.
“Allegations that Mr. Peterson was a coward and that his performance, under the circumstances, failed to meet the standards of police officers are patently untrue,” concluded Peterson’s lawyer.
The statement comes just four days after the Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel confirmed Peterson never entered the building, saying he was “sick to his stomach” over the revelation.