The Department of Justice confirmed Thursday their intentions to drop all charges against former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn; ending a grave miscarriage of justice that started just days after President Trump’s inauguration.
Jan. 24, 2017
Flynn, who at the time was national security adviser to Trump, was approached by a pair of FBI agents for an interview at the White House. They wanted to discuss his communications with then-Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak regarding sanctions in December 2016, which unbeknownst to Flynn had been picked up in wiretapped discussions. This interview would later form the basis for a false-statement charge and guilty plea.
Feb. 13, 2017
Flynn resigned from his White House post. The resignation came as he was accused of misleading Vice President Pence and other senior White House officials about those same communications with Kislyak. Pence, after being briefed by Flynn, had said in television interviews that Flynn did not discuss sanctions with the ambassador.
May 17, 2017
Special Counsel Robert Mueller was appointed by Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein to take over the investigation of Russian meddling and possible collusion with Trump associates in the 2016 election.
Dec. 1, 2017
As part of the Mueller investigation, Flynn pleaded guilty to making false statements in his FBI interview regarding his talks with Kislyak. Flynn was charged with lying to federal investigators about whether he had talked to Kislyak about limiting the Russian government’s response to former President Barack Obama’s sanctions for election meddling.
Feb. 1, 2018
Two months after Flynn initially pleaded guilty, Mueller and Flynn’s attorneys filed a “joint status report” to Judge Emmet G. Sullivan requesting more time.
“Due to the status of the special counsel’s investigation, the parties do not believe that this matter is ready to be scheduled for a sentencing hearing at this time,” the filing from Mueller and Flynn attorneys Robert Kelner and Stephen Anthony read. “The parties shall file a joint status report by no later than May, 2018, stating whether the matter should be scheduled for sentencing or whether a deadline should be set for filing another joint status report.”
A Republican-authored House Intelligence Committee report on the Russia probe was released. The eventually unredacted report said FBI agents did not believe that Flynn intentionally lied about talks with Russia’s ambassador.
“Director [James] Comey testified to the Committee that ‘the agents…discerned no physical indications of deception,” the report said. “They saw nothing that indicated to them that he knew he was lying to them.’”
Comey, though, disputed the claims, saying “someone misunderstood something I said. I didn’t believe that and didn’t say that.”
May 1, 2018
The special counsel and Flynn’s attorneys filed another joint status report, requesting yet another 90-day delay for Flynn’s sentencing.
June 29, 2018
The special counsel and Flynn’s attorneys filed yet another joint status report.
Sullivan demanded information about why both sides had repeatedly asked for Flynn’s sentencing to be delayed.
Aug. 21, 2018
Another joint status report was filed by Mueller and Flynn’s attorneys, signaling that the former national security adviser was continuing to cooperate with the special counsel.
In July, Flynn’s attorneys said their client was “eager” to wrap up and proceed to sentencing.
The special counsel and attorneys for Flynn said in a joint filing that the “matter is now ready to be scheduled for sentencing.”
Both sides asked the judge to set a date for sentencing.
Dec. 4, 2018
Mueller filed a memorandum recommending a lenient sentence, with the possibility of no prison time, for Flynn, stating that he has offered “substantial” help to investigators about “several ongoing investigations.”
“Given the defendant’s substantial assistance and other considerations set forth below, a sentence at the low end of the guideline range, including a sentence that does not impose a term of incarceration—is appropriate and warranted,” the memo said.
Read the full timeline at Fox News.
ANOTHER SMOKING GUN: Docs Show Strzok ‘Stopped FBI from Ending Flynn Probe’ Despite Lack of Evidence
Recently released documents from the Department of Justice shed even more disturbing light on the actions of high-level officials at the DOJ; revealing Peter Strok “stopped the FBI from ending their probe” into Michael Flynn despite a lack of evidence.
“Internal FBI documents unsealed Thursday indicate that Peter Strzok — the now-disgraced anti-Trump former head of FBI counterintelligence — ordered the investigation of former national security adviser Michael Flynn to remain open even after it was slated to be closed due to a lack of so-called ‘derogatory’ information,” reports Fox News.
“Thursday’s document release shows that on January 4, 2017, weeks before the fateful January 24, 2017 White House interview, the FBI’s Washington Field Office issued a “Closing Communication” indicating that the bureau was terminating ‘CROSSFIRE RAZOR’ — the newly disclosed codename for the investigation of Flynn,” adds Fox.
Read the full report here.
Source: Fox News
COLLUSION DELUSION: House Committee to Subpoena Kushner, Sessions, Flynn, Rosenstein, MORE
House Judiciary Chair Jerrold Nadler unveiled his plan this week to issue dozens of subpoenas to those involved in Robert Mueller’s “No Collusion” final report; demanding Jeff Sessions, Michael Flynn, and Jared Kushner testify before Congress.
“House Judiciary Committee Democrats announced Tuesday that they plan to authorize subpoenas later this week for a dozen individuals connected to President Trump as part of the panel’s escalating probe into obstruction of justice, public corruption and other alleged abuses by the president,” reports Fox News.
“The individuals subject to fresh subpoena are: Sessions; Rosenstein; Kushner; former White House National Security Adviser Michael Flynn; former White House Deputy Chief of Staff Rick Dearborn; former White House Chief of Staff John Kelly; former Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski; former White House aide Rob Porter; publisher of the National Enquirer David Pecker and chief content officer Dylan Howard; former Stormy Daniels lawyer Keith Davidson; and assistant attorney general for the criminal division Joseph Hunt,” adds Fox.
Republican Rep. Doug Collins slammed Nadler’s request, calling the move an attempt to “relitigate” the Mueller report.
“Today’s latest effort to relitigate the special counsel’s investigation remains unimpressive and unproductive. Mr. Mueller’s team issued more than 2,800 subpoenas before concluding that no Americans conspired with Russia. Even if Chairman Nadler still believes subpoenas are conversation starters, it’s hard to imagine this handful of subpoenas will do anything but reinforce the principal conclusions we’ve been able to read about for months,” Collins said in a statement.
“I remain open to reaching a reasonable accommodation and will not issue subpoenas if the information we are seeking is voluntarily provided,” Nadler said Tuesday. “We will get answers one way or the other.”
Read the full report at Fox News.