TV star and famed celebrity chef Mario Batali stepped down from multiple television and professional roles on Monday, saying he was “deeply sorry” after repeated allegations of sexual misconduct swirled around the world-renowned restauranteur.
According to USA Today, Batali decided to “step away” from his role as co-host of ABC’s ‘The Chew’ after multiple women accused the chef of “inappropriate touching” and a “pattern” of misconduct that “spans at least two decades.”
Batali released a statement on Monday regarding his decision, saying he was “deeply sorry” to the women affected by his actions.
“I apologize to the people I have mistreated and hurt,” read the statement. “That behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility and am deeply sorry for any pain, humiliation or discomfort I have caused to my peers, employees, customers, friends and family.”
“We built these restaurants so that our guests could have fun and indulge, but I took that too far in my own behavior,” he added. “I won’t make that mistake again.”
Batali is the latest high-profile celebrity or politician forced to step down amid rampant allegations of sexual assault.
Last week, Senator Al Franken resigned from Congress after multiple women accused the liberal lawmaker of “forcibly kissing” or groping them.
Franken QUITS SENATE Over Multiple Sex Scandals
Disgraced liberal lawmaker Al Franken resigned from the United State Senate on Thursday, stepping down after multiple women came forward and accused the legislator of inappropriate sexual misconduct.
Franken announced his resignation during a speech on the floor of the Senate, saying he plans to quit in the “coming weeks.
“I will be resigning as a member of the United States Senate”
“Today I am announcing that in the coming weeks I will be resigning as a member of the United States Senate,” said the Senator.
“I, of all people, am aware that there’s some irony that I am leaving while a man who’s bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the Oval Office, and that a man who preys on young girls campaigns for the Senate with the full support of his party,” he added.
Franken’s fall from grace began weeks ago, when a news anchor publicly accused the Senator of forcibly kissing and groping her while the two toured the Middle East. Days later, multiple women came forward and accused the legislator of inappropriately “grabbing” them while taking photographs.
SEE YA: Charlie Rose TERMINATED at CBS over Sex Scandal
CBS host and legendary journalist Charlie Rose was fired from CBS News on Tuesday after multiple reports of sexual misconduct and harassment came to light this week, with the network releasing a statement saying they “terminated” Rose for his “extremely disturbing and intolerable behavior.”
“A short time ago we terminated Charlie Rose’s employment with CBS News, effective immediately,” said CBS News President David Rhodes. “This followed the revelation yesterday of extremely disturbing and intolerable behavior said to have revolved around his PBS program.”
“Despite Charlie’s important journalistic contribution to our news division, there is absolutely nothing more important, in this or any organization, than ensuring a safe, professional workplace — a supportive environment where people feel they can do their best work. We need to be such a place,” he added.
Rose, who is 75-years-old, released a statement regarding the accusations, saying he was “embarrassed” but claimed “not all of these allegations are accurate.”
“I am greatly embarrassed. I have behaved insensitively at times, and I accept responsibility for that, though I do not believe that all of these allegations are accurate,” said Rose. “I always felt that I pursued shared feelings though I now realize that I was mistaken.”