The Department of Justice filed charges against at least 11 individuals associated with the ‘migrant caravan’ that arrived at the US-Mexico border over the weekend; raising the stakes as hundreds of undocumented workers seek asylum in the United States.
“The Department of Justice has filed complaints against 11 individuals believed to be members of the Central American migrant caravan, accusing them of illegally entering the United States,” writes the Daily Caller.
According to police reports, 10 migrants face misdemeanor charges for illegally entering the United States, with one immigrant facing a possible felony for entering the United States after being previously deported.
The charges signal a harsh US response to the nearly 200 migrants attempting to enter the country at the San Diego border station.
Earlier this week, American officials denied entry for the ‘caravan,’ citing the border crossing as “full” and unable to process any further immigration requests “at this time.”
h/t Daily Caller
BORDER SHOWDOWN: Migrant ‘Caravan’ Arrives at US CUSTOMS in San Diego
Hundreds of migrant workers from Central America ended their month-long journey through Mexico and arrived at the US border Sunday; attempting to cross into San Diego and claim asylum-status as early as Monday morning.
Despite weeks of legal drama and comments from the President demanding Mexican authorities disband the ‘caravan,’ the undocumented immigrants are poised to file paperwork with federal agents; hoping to receive legal-resident status in the US.
US authorities have so-far refused entry to the Central Americans, saying the customs checkpoint has “reached capacity.”
“At this time, we have reached capacity at the San Ysidro port of entry for CBP (Customs and Border Protection) officers to be able to bring additional persons traveling without appropriate entry documentation into the port of entry for processing,” Commissioner Kevin McAleenan told Fox News in a statement.
He said the immigrants “may need to wait in Mexico as CBP officers work to process those already within our facilities.”
Read the full story here.
‘CARAVAN’ DENIED: Migrants ‘Remain DEFIANT’ After Border Officials REFUSE Entry
Hundreds of Central American migrants openly defied US immigration officials Monday; vowing to enter the United States despite federal authorities’ insistence the border would remain closed.
Over 200 migrants refused to leave the area just across the US border at San Diego; setting up tents and other temporary shelters with the hopes of successfully filing for asylum and gaining legal-resident status in the United States.
“Members of the caravan said they would not give up, setting up a possible showdown with the U.S,” writes Fox News. “Irineo Mujica of Pueblos Sin Fronteras, the group organizing the caravan, says the U.S. refusal to process the migrants is a ‘farce’ aimed at avoiding having to deal with the Central American asylum seekers.”
“We are not a country of white nationalists. There’s a reason we have the Statue of Liberty. We are a country that goes to war to protect the human rights of others,” said one U.S. attorney representing the migrants.
“We’ve created these situations in Central America. It is our responsibility to help protect the victims that we created,” she added.
Read the full story at Fox News.