Venezuela’s socialist President Nicolas Maduro appeared on the brink Wednesday morning, with thousands of citizens taking to the streets in support of the nation’s opposition party after years of economic collapse.
“Venezuela’s re-invigorated opposition faces a crucial test Wednesday as it seeks to fill streets nationwide with protesters in an appeal to the military and the poor to shift loyalties that until recently looked solidly behind President Nicolas Maduro’s socialist government,” writes the Associated Press.
“The protests have been called to coincide with a historic date for Venezuelans — the anniversary of the 1958 coup that overthrew military dictator Marcos Perez Jimenez. Government supporters are also expected to march in downtown Caracas in a rival show of strength,” adds the article.
Cracks in Maduro’s brutal regime appeared towards the end of last week when a rogue National Guard unit defected; prompting Vice President Mike Pence to send a direct message to the Venezuelan people.
“We stand with you until Democracy is restored,” said Pence.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
ANOTHER TERM: Venezuela’s Socialist President Sworn-in for SECOND SIX-Year Term
Venezuela’s socialist President Nicolas Maduro was sworn-in for his second six-year term Thursday; sparking outrage from world leaders and local activists demanding the brutal leader resign from office.
“Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro was being sworn in to a second term Thursday amid international calls for him to step down and a devastating economic crisis, but with some long-time friends in attendance both from abroad and at home,” writes the Associated Press.
“A dozen Latin American governments and Canada in a coalition have rejected the legitimacy of Maduro’s next term, and Washington has sanctioned top officials in his government,” adds the article.
Venezuela’s crumbling economy has forced millions to flee the socialist country, where recent polling shows upwards of 80% of the population struggle to find food on a daily basis.
Read the full report at the Associated Press.
ON THE BRINK: Venezuela’s Maduro Says President Trump is ‘OUT TO KILL’ Him
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro escalated his war-of-words with the Trump administration Friday; directly accusing the White House of organizing multiple assassination attempts against the socialist leader.
Maduro was speaking during a televised broadcast when he claimed multiple “hit jobs” had originated from inside Washington; saying assassins have been “given the order from the White House.”
Nicolas Maduro announces Trump administration is trying to kill him https://t.co/tX8Ij03vFD
— MailOnline Video (@MailOnlineVideo) October 12, 2018
“From the United States, they have decided to kill me,” said Maduro.
“They have given the order from the White House that Maduro is to be killed […] They will not even touch a single hair of mine, because God and the people of Venezuela protect me.”