New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio briefed reporters Wednesday afternoon after an “improvised explosive device” was found at CNN’s Manhattan offices; officially calling the event an “act of terror.”
“This clearly was an act of terror attempting to undermine our free press and leaders of this country through acts of violence,” de Blasio said during a press conference in midtown Manhattan. “I want to make very clear that the people in New York City will not be intimidated.”
The situation at the Time Warner Center was clearly an act of terror attempting to undermine our free press and intimidate New Yorkers. But the people of this city have shown time and again that they stand up in the face of terror.
— Mayor Bill de Blasio (@NYCMayor) October 24, 2018
The device is one of four potential explosives sent to former President Barack Obama, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and Florida Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz.
This is a developing story.
DEVELOPING: ‘Suspicious Packages’ Sent to Obamas, Clintons, CNN Evacuated
The Secret Service “intercepted” two “potential explosive devices” sent to former President Barack Obama and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton Wednesday, as another “suspicious package” prompted the evacuation of CNN’s New York offices.
The flurry of dangerous devices comes as local police report an additional package was sent to Florida Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz.
“ALERT!!! We are working an investigation of a suspicious package near Sawgrass Corporate Parkway. Please stay out of the area of NW 8th St and NW 136th Ave. We will provide further updates when available,” tweeted the Sunrise Police Department.
ALERT!!! We are working an investigation of a suspicious package near Sawgrass Corporate Parkway. Please stay out of the area of NW 8th St and NW 136th Ave. We will provide further updates when available.
— Sunrise Police FL (@SunrisePoliceFL) October 24, 2018
“We condemn the attempted violent attacks recently made against President Obama, President Clinton, Secretary Clinton, and other public figures. These terrorizing acts are despicable, and anyone responsible will be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law. The United States Secret Service and other law enforcement agencies are investigating and will take all appropriate actions to protect anyone threatened by these cowards,” said White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders.
This is a developing story.
BREAKING: Ricin Poison Detected in Packages Sent to Pentagon
At least two packages sent to the Department of Defense Headquarters outside of Washington, DC tested positive Tuesday for Ricin; a deadly poison lethal to those who come in close contact with it.
According to the New York Post, federal authorities detected the toxin during its routine screening process.
“As part of the screening process, (authorities) recognized some suspicious packages,” Defense Department spokesman Chris Sherwood said.
All mail sent to the Pentagon is under a mandatory quarantine until every item is properly screened.
“On Monday, the Pentagon Force Protection Agency detected a suspicious substance during mail screening at the Pentagon’s remote screening facility,” said a Dept. of Defense spokesperson. “On Tuesday, October, 2, 2018, in coordination with the Pentagon Force Protection Agency, FBI Special Agents took possession of two suspicious envelopes that had been screened at the Pentagon mail facility. Those envelopes are currently undergoing further testing. As this is ongoing, we will have no further comment.”
Read the full story at the NY Post.