North Korean leader Kim Jong Un claimed last week’s rocket test was “regular” and “self-defensive” Wednesday; saying the launch will not “aggravate the situation” with the United States and South Korea.
“The recent drill conducted by our army is nothing more than part of the regular military training, and it has neither targeted anyone nor led to an aggravation of the situation in the region,” said Kim’s spokesperson.
Saturday’s “drill” was the first test since the communist regime launched an intercontinental ballistic missile in November 2017. The launch prompted a global backlash that eventually led to the first meeting between Kim Jong Un and President Trump.
“Only our regular and self-defensive military drill is branded as provocative, and this is an undisguised manifestation of the attempt to press the gradual disarmament of our state and finally invade us,” the spokesperson added. “We think this is very much unpleasant and regrettable, and we sound a note of warning.”
Read the full report at Reuters.
KIM BLINKS: North Korea Backs-Off Guam Threat After Trump's Tough Talk
North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un is backing-off his threat to attack the US territory of Guam, but warns he may change his mind if the “Yankees persist” with their aggression in the region, reports the Wall Street Journal.
A government spokesman released the statement through the state-run news agency, saying the communist nation has decided to abandon its plans to launch four medium-range, ballistic missiles towards the island, but may decide to attack if the United States continues its “reckless actions” against North Korea.
“If the Yankees persist in their extremely dangerous reckless actions on the Korean Peninsula and in its vicinity, testing the self-restraint of the DPRK, the [North] will make an important decision as it already declared,” said the statement.
The decision comes just days after China followed through on its pledge to implement crippling new UN sanctions against the North Korean regime; cutting its annual exports by nearly one third and limiting its ability to import food and other necessities.
President Trump has urged China and Russia to help crackdown on Kim’s regime in the wake of two successful intercontinental ballistic missile tests that rattled nerves in Washington last month. Military experts now believe that North Korea can deliver nuclear warheads as far away as Chicago and possibly New York City.
The President issued a stark warning after Kim’s threat towards Guam last week, warning the dictator that he would “regret” any action made against US territory.
“If he does anything with respect to Guam or any place else that’s an American territory or an American ally, he will truly regret it and he will regret it fast,” said the President.
KIM CAVES: North Korea WILLING TO FREEZE Nuclear Program, Talk with Trump
North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un announced his regime was willing to “freeze” its nuclear program, halt future tests, and meet with the United States Tuesday, shocking the international community as the Hermit Kingdom huddled with South Korean officials.
South Korea’s National Security Director announced Kim’s decision, saying “[North Korea] made it clear that while dialogue is continuing, it will not attempt any strategic provocations, such as nuclear and ballistic missile tests.”
“The North side clearly affirmed its commitment to the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and said it would have no reason to possess nuclear weapons should the safety of its regime be guaranteed and military threats against North Korea removed,” the official added.
President Trump hailed the news on social media Tuesday, saying the US was “ready to go hard” in either direction should Kim decide to resume his nuclear tests.
“Possible progress being made in talks with North Korea. For the first time in many years, a serious effort is being made by all parties concerned. The World is watching and waiting! May be false hope, but the U.S. is ready to go hard in either direction!” tweeted the President.
Possible progress being made in talks with North Korea. For the first time in many years, a serious effort is being made by all parties concerned. The World is watching and waiting! May be false hope, but the U.S. is ready to go hard in either direction!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 6, 2018