Vice President Mike Pence confirmed the Trump administration’s commitment to the creation of a sixth branch of the US military Thursday, saying the President’s ‘Space Force’ will be established by 2020.
Pence was speaking at the Department of Defense this week when he vowed to “bring new weapons of war into space itself.”
“As their actions make clear, our adversaries have transformed space into a warfighting domain already and the United States will not shrink from this challenge,” he said. “Under President Trump’s leadership, we will meet it head on — to defend our nation, and build a peaceful future here on Earth and in space.”
“President Trump and I are grateful to Secretary Mattis for this department’s diligence in preparing this report, and our administration will soon take action to implement these recommendations, with the objective of establishing the United States Department of the Space Force by 2020,” he added.
Read the full story at Fox News.
STAR WARS: Trump Orders Creation of ‘SPACE FORCE’ as 6th Branch of US Military
President Donald Trump officially instructed the Department of Defense to “immediately begin” the process of creating a sixth branch of the US military Monday; ordering the establishment of a “Space Force” to protect the United States from enemies across the planet and beyond.
According to CNBC, the Commander-in-Chief was speaking with reporters at the White House Monday morning when he unveiled the proposal, saying “our destiny beyond the earth is not only a matter of national identity but a matter of national security.”
“I am hereby directing the Department of Defense and Pentagon to immediately begin the process necessary to establish a Space Force as the sixth branch of the armed forces,” Trump said.
“We have the Air Force, we’ll have the space force,” Trump told reporters earlier this year.
When implemented, the Space Force will be the newest addition to the US military in over 70 years, when the Air Force was added as an official branch directly after the Second World War.
COLD WAR HEATS UP: US Jet Destroys RUSSIAN TANK in Syria Showdown
A US fighter jet operating in Syrian airspace opened-fire on a Russian-made tank in an act of “self-defense” said the Pentagon Tuesday, signaling a further escalation of tensions in the region as the seven-year long civil war continues to engulf the country.
According to Business Insider, US officials confirmed the incident this week, saying the Air Force jet destroyed a Russian T-72 tank near Al Tabiyeh, Syria; killing three crew members.
The nationalities of the fatalities remains unclear.
“The tank had been maneuvering with coordinated indirect fire on a defensive position occupied by Syrian Democratic Forces and Coalition advisers,” said US Marine Corps Maj. Adrian J.T. Rankine-Galloway.
“The position was within effective range of the hostile weapons systems,” he added.
JUST IN: US jet destroys Russian T-72 battle tank in E Syria in 'self-defense' Saturday after 'pro-regime forces' fired on US special ops and allied Syrian fighters near same location of last week's attack, officials say. No US or allied casualties. 3 inside tank killed.
— Lucas Tomlinson (@LucasFoxNews) February 13, 2018
Despite joint pledges to work together to destroy ISIS and other terror networks, Russia and the United States find themselves on opposite sides of the ongoing conflict; with US forces equipping Syrian rebels and Russian forces supporting the regime of Bashar al-Assad.
The escalation of violence comes as Israel and Iran face-off inside Syrian airspace, with Assad’s forces shooting down an Israeli F16 fighter jet using equipment supplied by Tehran.