Another Central American ‘migrant caravan’ reportedly left Honduras this week; setting the stage for a high-stakes showdown with Mexican and American authorities as the undocumented workers slowly make their way north.
“Hundreds of Honduran migrants began the long trek north on Monday, part of new U.S.-bound caravan that hopes to succeed even as a previous wave of Central Americans were unable to quickly enter the United States,” writes Reuters.
“Television footage on Monday showed several hundred people in the violent city of San Pedro Sula huddled together and waving Honduran flags as they began a journey that will likely take weeks or even months to reach the U.S.-Mexico border,” adds the article.
The caravan comes as the government shutdown enters its fourth week, with President Trump demanding any proposed budget include billions of dollars in federal spending for border security.
Read the full report at Reuters.
BREAKING: Pentagon to Deploy 5,000 US TROOPS to US-MEXICO Border
The United States military plans to send at least 5,000 American soldiers to the US-Mexico border in the coming days; setting the stage for a high-stakes showdown as the ‘migrant caravan’ slowly makes its way north towards California and Texas.
According to the Wall Street Journal, President Trump is preparing to deploy thousands of troops to crackdown on asylum seekers hoping to enter the United States illegally.
“The U.S. military plans to deploy 5,000 troops to the southwest U.S. border in anticipation of a caravan of would-be asylum seekers and migrants currently moving northward in Mexico,” writes the Wall Street Journal.
“The new figure is a major increase from initial estimates of 800 troops and would represent a military force equal to about one-third the number of customs officials currently working at the border,” adds the WSJ.
Many Gang Members and some very bad people are mixed into the Caravan heading to our Southern Border. Please go back, you will not be admitted into the United States unless you go through the legal process. This is an invasion of our Country and our Military is waiting for you!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 29, 2018
“This is an invasion of our Country and our Military is waiting for you!” President Trump posted on social media Monday morning,
Read the full story here.
CARAVAN CRISIS: Thousands Abandon Caravan, Apply for Asylum in Mexico
At least 1,700 Central American migrants have abandoned the “caravan” slowly making its way towards the United States; either applying for asylum in Mexico or accepting government offers to transport them to their countries of origin.
According to the Associated Press, thousands of undocumented workers from Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador are abandoning their 1,500 mile journey north due to weather, sickness, lack of food, and exhaustion.
“We got hit by rain, and ever since then I’ve had a cold,” said one immigrant. “No. I’m going to make my life in Honduras.”
“We didn’t know what lay ahead,” said another. “We want to return to our country, where you can get by — even if just with beans, but you can survive, there with our families, at peace.”
The caravan has progressed just 95 miles into Mexico since crossing the border late last week. They remain over 1,000 miles from the United States.
Read the full report here.