A 33-year-old man went on an evening stabbing spree in Southern California Wednesday; killing 4 people and injuring 2 in an apparently random series of unprovoked attacks.
“A man who was ‘full of anger’ went on a two-hour stabbing and robbery rampage in Southern California, killing four people and wounding two others, authorities said Wednesday,” reports the Associated Press. “The 33-year-old Garden Grove man was taken into custody after he came out of a 7-Eleven in Santa Ana, southeast of Los Angeles, and dropped a knife along with a handgun that he had taken from a guard, police said.”
“We know this guy was full of anger and he harmed a lot of people tonight,” said Garden Grove Police Lt. Carl Whitney.
“We have video showing him attacking these people and conducting these murders,” he said.
Four people are dead and two others wounded after a Southern California man went on a violent stabbing spree, authorities say. https://t.co/uNVYhtQAgw
— ABC News (@ABC) August 8, 2019
The attacks occurred in six separate locations in Garden Grove, California and nearby Santa Ana.
“Police ordered the man to drop his weapons and he complied and was arrested,” adds the AP. “Police then learned that a male employee of a nearby Subway restaurant also had been fatally stabbed during a robbery, Whitney said.”
The stabbings come less than one week after two mass shootings claimed the lives of more than 30 Americans in El Paso and Dayton, Ohio.
Read the full report here.
HORROR AT WALMART: At Least 15 Dead After Gunman Opens Fire at El Paso Walmart, Suspect in Custody
At least 15 people are dead and dozens injured after a 21-year-old suspect opened fire at a Walmart shopping center in El Paso, Texas Saturday.
“Police said at an earlier news conference that the suspect was taken into custody without incident and no law enforcement fired their weapons. The Walmart was near capacity at the time of the shooting, with as many as 3,000 people inside along with 100 employees,” reports Fox News.
“Ryan Mielke, a spokesman for University Medical Center of El Paso, told Fox News that 13 patients — 1 of whom died at the hospital — were being treated at the facility’s Level 1 trauma center. Mielke told the Associated Press that two children, ages 2 and 9, were stabilized at the medical center before being transferred to the neighboring El Paso Children’s Hospital,” adds Fox.
President Trump commenting on the shooting within minutes, writing “Terrible shootings in ElPaso, Texas. Reports are very bad, many killed. Working with State and Local authorities, and Law Enforcement. Spoke to Governor to pledge total support of Federal Government. God be with you all!”
Terrible shootings in ElPaso, Texas. Reports are very bad, many killed. Working with State and Local authorities, and Law Enforcement. Spoke to Governor to pledge total support of Federal Government. God be with you all!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 3, 2019
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
DEATH TOLL RISES: El Paso Shooting Fatalities Now 22 After Two Victims Die at Hospital
The number of Americans murdered at a mass shooting in Walmart Saturday now stands at 22 after two additional victims died at an El Paso hospital Monday morning.
“Two more victims of Saturday’s mass shooting in El Paso died on Monday morning, raising the number of fatalities in the massacre to 22, officials said,” reports Fox News. “The mass shooting — one of the deadliest in modern U.S. history — unfolded at a Walmart around 11 a.m. Saturday, as 21-year-old suspect Patrick Crusius, allegedly opened fire in the store, initially killing at least 20 and injuring another 26.”
Crusius was charged with capital murder and the FBI is handling the case as an act of “Domestic Terrorism.” If convicted, the government could use the death penalty.
“The loss of life is so great, we certainly have never seen this in our community. We are a very safe community,” said El Paso District Attorney Jaime Esparza. “We pride ourselves on the fact that we’re so safe, and certainly this community is rocked, shocked and saddened by what has happened here yesterday.”
President Trump addressed the American people from the White House Monday morning after a weekend of deadly gun violence; offering condolences to the victims and their families and calling for stricter background checks and red flag laws across the United States.
“We cannot let those killed in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, die in vain. Likewise for those so seriously wounded. We can never forget them, and those many who came before them. Republicans and Democrats must come together and get strong background checks, perhaps marrying this legislation with desperately needed immigration reform. We must have something good, if not GREAT, come out of these two tragic events!” posted the President on social media.
….this legislation with desperately needed immigration reform. We must have something good, if not GREAT, come out of these two tragic events!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 5, 2019
“I’ve been in close consultation with Attorney General Barr. We are conducting a methodical investigation… With a view towards bringing federal hate crime charges and federal firearm charges which carry the penalty of death,” said the US District Attorney. “We’re also treating this as a domestic terrorism case.”
“We’re going to do what we do to terrorists in this country, which is to deliver swift and certain justice,” added the Attorney.