Secretary of State Mike Pompeo confirmed the high-stakes discussions between US and North Korean officials was moving ahead “rapidly” in Singapore this week, saying the talks will come to their “logical conclusion” more “quickly than anticipated.”
Pompeo was speaking with reporters Monday evening local time when he weighed-in on the current state of negotiations between high-level officials from both governments.
“Our ambassador to the Philippines Sung Kim met today with [North Korean] Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui,” said the Secretary of State. “They are moving quite rapidly and we anticipate they will come to their logical conclusion even more quickly than we anticipated.”
“North Korea has previously confirmed to us its willingness to denuclearize, and we are eager to see if its words prove sincere,” he added. “The ultimate objective we seek from diplomacy with North Korea has not changed.”
Read the full report at Bloomberg.
BUSTED! NY Times ATTACKS 'Absent' Pompeo During Secret RESCUE MISSION
The New York Times viciously slammed Secretary of State Mike Pompeo Tuesday, accusing the senior Trump aide of being “thousands of miles away” during the President’s Iran speech; despite the fact he was in North Korea negotiating the release of three prisoners.
According to Fox News, the Times blasted Pompeo for not being on hand as the President announced his decision to withdraw from the Iranian nuclear agreement; saying he was missing at a “key moment” of the Trump presidency.
“Senior State Department officials were momentarily speechless on Tuesday when asked why Mr. Pompeo did not delay his trip by a day to be in Washington during Mr. Trump’s Iran deal announcement,” writes the Times.
“The absence of Mr. Pompeo and other top State Department officials left perplexed European diplomats privately complaining that they were having trouble getting answers from Washington,” the author added.
It became clear by Wednesday that the reason Pompeo was “thousands of miles away” was to oversee the transfer of three American prisoners from North Korean officials to US custody.
Read the full story at Fox News.
PRESIDENT TRUMP: ‘We’ll See What Happens’ with North Korean Summit
President Trump weighed-in on Kim Jong Un’s recent threats to cancel a historic summit between the two leaders on Wednesday, telling reporters “we’ll see what happens” in the coming days.
The Commander-in-Chief was fielding questions from journalists alongside the leader of Uzbekistan when he was asked to comment on the North Korean regime’s threat to cancel the face-to-face meeting.
“We’ll have to see. We haven’t been notified at all. We haven’t seen anything. We haven’t heard anything. We will see what happens,” said the President. “Whatever it is, it is.”
The President’s comments come hours after Korean officials slammed National Security Advisor John Bolton, calling the Trump official “repugnant” for labeling Kim Jong Un’s father a “tyrannical dictator” back in 2003.