A handful of City Council members in Chicago are pleading with Illinois Governor JB Pritzker to declare a State of Emergency and deploy the National Guard to help local police crackdown on riots, looting, and shootings.
“The City Council held a special meeting Friday to consider the resolution. The governor was asked to deploy the national guard for a period of 4 months to assist local law enforcement in quelling the unrest,” reports the Daily Caller.
Chicago City Council Members Call For State Of Emergency Declaration, Request National Guard https://t.co/C9FMmOwWEU
— Daily Caller (@DailyCaller) August 21, 2020
“Demonstrations have been ongoing in Chicago for months. The city was struck with another wave of violence following a police shootout Sunday, where a 20-year-old man reportedly shot at police and was injured when police returned fire,” adds the website.
Read the full report here.
CHICAGO SPIRALS: 100 People Arrested, 13 Police Injured as Looters Target Windy City’s Tourism District
More than 100 people were arrested overnight Monday and at least 13 officers were injured as hundreds of looters targeted shops in Chicago’s downtown tourism district.
“This was straight up, felony criminal conduct,” said Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot. “This was an assault on our city.”
“Those arrested were expected to face charges including looting, disorderly conduct, battery against police. Lightfoot said that the city has activated a neighborhood protection program,” reports the Associated Press. “The unrest began shortly after midnight and anti-police graffiti was seen in the area of the Magnificent Mile, which is one of Chicago’s most-visited tourist attractions. Hours earlier, dozens of people had faced off with police after officers shot and wounded a person Sunday in the Englewood neighborhood, located about 10 miles (16 kilometers) away.”
— The Hill (@thehill) August 10, 2020
🚨 “LOOTING AND CHAOS” 🚨
Do you feel safer with radical Democrats are in charge? https://t.co/W7XcGw3dRM
— Marc Lotter – Text TRUMP to 88022 (@marc_lotter) August 10, 2020
Read the full report here.
CHICAGO SPIRALS: 20 People Shot Monday, 2 Killed Hours After Funeral Home Shoot-Out
From Fox News:
Just hours after at least 14 people were wounded in a drive-by shooting outside of a funeral home on Chicago’s South Side Tuesday evening, two men were killed in the city in separate shootings, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.
In one incident, a 30-year-old was fatally shot while sitting on a porch with a 32-year-old man. They were outside a home on West Morgan Street on the far South Side around 11 p.m. when two men approached them and opened fire, according to the Sun-Times.
The 32-year-old suffered a non-life-threatening gunshot wound and is reportedly in fair condition.
A 28-year-old man was shot in the chest and pronounced dead in a separate drive-by shooting around an hour later.
Neither man has been identified and no arrests have been made. The investigations are ongoing, according to the Sun-Times.
Less than six hours earlier, attendees leaving a funeral for a man reportedly killed in a shooting last week were fired upon by suspects in a speeding car.
Read the full report at Fox News.