The Pentagon released an official statement Tuesday evening on the rocket attack aimed at US personnel; confirming more than a dozen missiles were fired from Iran towards American soldiers.
“It is clear that these missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases hosting U.S. military and coalition personnel at Al-Assad and Irbil,” Jonathan Hoffman, assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs, said in a statement.
“We are working on initial battle damage assessments,” he added.
The following statement is attributed to @ChiefPentSpox: At approximately 1730 EST on Jan. 7, Iran launched at least a dozen ballistic missiles against U.S. military & coalition forces in Iraq.
— Department of Defense 🇺🇸 (@DeptofDefense) January 8, 2020
“As we evaluate the situation and our response, we will take all necessary measures to protect and defend U.S. personnel, partners, and allies in the region,” the Pentagon said.
AMERICA RESPONDS: US Airstrike Kills Iranian General, Other Military Officials at Baghdad Airport
The United States launched an airstrike Thursday evening that resulted in the death of an Iranian general and other military officials at Baghdad International Airport in Iraq, according to Fox News.
“The Pentagon confirmed Thursday evening that Trump had ordered the attack that killed Soleimani and other military officials at Baghdad International Airport in Iraq. Iran’s top ‘shadow commander’ was responsible for the deaths of hundreds of American and coalition service members and the wounding of thousands more, the State Department said,” reports Fox.
“I think the Iranian leadership understands President Trump will take action. … We made very clear that these responses would be swift and decisive. We have now demonstrated that. I hope the Iranian leadership will see that and see American resolve and that their decision will be to de-escalate and take actions consistent with what normal nations do. In the event that they do not and they go in the other direction, I know that President Trump and the entire United States government is prepared to respond appropriately,” said Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
“He’s got hundreds of American lives and blood on his hands. What was sitting before us was his travels throughout the region, his efforts to make a significant strike against Americans. There would have been many Muslims killed as well, Iraqis and people in other countries. It was a strike that was aimed at disrupting that plot, disrupting further aggression and we hope, setting the conditions for de-escalation as well,” he added.
Read the full report here.
Source: Fox News
CHAOS IN IRAN: Soleimani Funeral Procession Stampede Leaves 40 Dead, Hundreds Injured
Chaos erupted in southeast Iran Tuesday after a stampede at the funeral procession of General Soleimani left at least 40 dead and hundreds injured.
“At least 40 Iranians were crushed to death Tuesday in a stampede that erupted during the funeral for Qassem Soleimani, the general killed last week in a U.S. airstrike, the country’s state media is reporting,” reports Fox News.
“The gory episode in Soleimani’s hometown of Kerman, which also reportedly left more than 200 injured, came as the U.S. Maritime Administration is warning ships across the Middle East to be on alert for possible retaliatory attacks from Iran,” adds Fox.
“Unfortunately as a result of the stampede, some of our compatriots have been injured and some have been killed during the funeral processions,” Pirhossein Koulivand, the head of Iran’s emergency medical services, told state media.
A similar incident occurred in 1989 at the funeral of Ayatollah Khomeini, when his body was toppled from his coffin on live television.
Iran postpones general’s burial after 35 people were killed in stampede during funeral procession https://t.co/38MhB1bxYP
— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) January 7, 2020
General Soleimani was killed this week during a US drone strike outside Baghdad International Airport.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
Source: Fox News