Florida gunman Nikolas Cruz refused to receive state-funded mental services after his 18th birthday, declining the district’s treatment he’d been administered for years despite the School’s Superintendent’s best efforts.
The self-confessed shooter who took the lives of 17 individuals at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School earlier this month refused mental health services he’d been receiving previously, telling officials it was no longer needed.
“When Nikolas Cruz turned 18, he refused to let the school district continue providing him with crucial mental health and other services — and there was nothing officials could do about it, Broward Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie said Monday,” writes the Sun Sentinel.
“You can’t make someone do something when the law says they have the right to make that determination,” Runcie added.
The news of Cruz’s refusal to receive the necessary treatment is just another red flag missed by local law enforcement and the FBI.
Earlier this week, the Broward County Sheriff’s Department came under fire after revealing it had been notified at least 45 times over Cruz’s erratic and suspicious behavior.
FLORIDA FAIL: New Report Shows Sheriff NOTIFIED 45 TIMES About School Shooter
While the Broward County Sheriff’s Department struggles to downplay fierce criticism over their handling of the devastating school shooting that stunned southern Florida this month, new data shows the agency was notified at least 45 times regarding the gunman’s erratic behavior.
Despite Sheriff Scott Israel’s insistence that his agency received 23 calls regarding 19-year old Nikolas Cruz, records released by the department show at least 45 calls were made to the Broward County Sheriff’s office between 2008 and 2017.
The new details raise even more questions over how local law enforcement and the FBI missed multiple red flags that should have prevented Cruz’s rampage at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
The FBI found itself in hot water this week over their response to “multiple tips” regarding Cruz, including information from a family insider that worried the gunman would “go into a school and just shoot the place up.”
Nikolas Cruz confessed to the deadly mass shooting at the Parkland, Florida high school on February 14; killing seventeen individuals and injuring scores more.
FLORIDA FURY: Gov. Scott SLAMS FBI, Demands Answers Over BOTCHED School Shooting Tip
Florida Governor Rick Scott called-on the FBI to publicly release information provided to the bureau just weeks before 19-year old Nikolas Cruz opened fire at a local high school; blasting the agency’s “inexcusable inaction” after it received specific information about the gunman.
Gov. Scott’s office released a statement Monday on the bureau’s “mishandling” of specific intelligence relating to Cruz, with one tip saying the shooter “possessed weapons” and may be in the final stages of planning a “school shooting.”
“Last week, our state and nation was shocked to learn of the FBI’s inexcusable inaction after receiving a tip informing them of Cruz’s desire to carry out a school shooting,” said Scott. “The FBI’s failure to initiate an investigation raises many questions, and the victims’ families deserve answers now.”
“Last week, I called on Director Wray to resign, and the FBI should release all records involving this terrible error. People in Washington tend to want to investigate, hold hearings and put off what truly needs to be done. Instead, someone needs to be held accountable,” he added.
The Governor’s comments come days after FBI Director Christopher Wray publicly admitted that his agency failed to follow “proper procedure” after it received information Cruz was planning his attack; pledging to prevent similar inactivity in the future.