International reporters were invited to witness the destruction of North Korea’s main nuclear testing facility Wednesday, enduring a “marathon” 11-hour train ride to witness the event as Kim Jong Un’s historic summit with President Trump hangs in the balance.
According to the New York Post, the journalists were allowed to enter the country from South Korea to watch as the Hermit Kingdom officially shuttered the test site ahead of potential talks with the United States.
“North Korea invited international media to observe the destruction with explosives of the Punggye-ri site, but not experts as initially promised, casting doubt over how verifiable the plan is and whether it will be safe,” writes the Post.
“We hope for an early realization of complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula through a North Korea-US summit and dialogue of various levels, starting with the abolition of the nuclear test site,” said a spokesperson for the communist regime.
The destruction of the facility comes just hours after President Trump cast new doubts over whether the historic summit will take place as scheduled for June 12th, saying he plans to announce his decision on the potential face-to-face meeting with Kim “next week.”
DOOMSDAY BACK ON? Kim SLAMS ‘Ignorant and Incompetent’ South Korea
North Korean officials directly rebuked South Korea’s offer to help “broker” the high-stakes summit between President Trump and Kim Jong Un Thursday; slamming their southern neighbors as “ignorant and incompetent.”
According to the New York Post, the Chairman of North Korea’s Reunification Committee harshly rejected Seoul’s suggestion that South Korea help “mediate” the upcoming meeting between US and Korean officials.
“On this opportunity, the present south Korean authorities have been clearly proven to be an ignorant and incompetent group devoid of the elementary sense of the present situation,” said a written statement from Chairman Ri Son Gwon.
“Unless the serious situation which led to the suspension of the north-south high-level talks is settled, it will never be easy to sit face to face again with the present regime of south Korea,” it added.
North Korean officials suddenly cut-off communications with South Korea and threatened to withdraw from the upcoming summit earlier this week; accusing the United States of practicing “invasion” drills during a joint military exercise.
DOOMSDAY BACK ON? Trump to Announce Fate of KOREA SUMMIT ‘Next Week’
President Trump announced Wednesday that he will decide the fate of the highly-anticipated meeting with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un in days, telling reporters that “we will know next week about Singapore.”
The President was speaking with journalists form the White House lawn when he was asked to comment on the historic summit scheduled for June 12th in Singapore.
“We will know next week about Singapore,” said the President.
US authorities are expected to meet with their North Korean counterparts this week with the hopes of salvaging the face-to-face meeting.
The Singapore sit-down was thrown into question last week after the communist regime slammed South Korean officials as “incompetent” and accused the US of “ruining” the potential meeting.
“Some day, a date will happen,” added Trump. “It could very well be June 12. We’ll see.”