The 29-year-old suspect behind the deadly mass shooting in Strasbourg, France Tuesday evening had 27 prior convictions in France, Germany, and Switzerland and was known to French authorities as a potential “risk to the state.”
According to Reuters, Strasbourg-born Cherif Chekatt reportedly fled the scene in a taxi and possibly crossed the border into Germany following his assault on a Christmas Market.
“Considering the target, his way of operating, his profile and the testimonies of those who heard him yell ‘Allahu Akbar’, the anti-terrorist police has been called into action,” said the French prosecutor overseeing the case.
JUST IN: Strasbourg shooting suspect 'Cherif C' has been previously convicted 27 times in France, Germany and Switzerland – Paris public prosecutor pic.twitter.com/0KB9Oy4etT
— Reuters Top News (@Reuters) December 12, 2018
“French and German agents checked vehicles and public transport crossing the Rhine river, along which the Franco-German frontier runs, backing up traffic in both directions. Hundreds of French troops and police were taking part in the manhunt,” adds Reuters. “Deputy Interior Minister Laurent Nunez said he could not rule out that the fugitive had already crossed the frontier.”
Read the full report here.