The Department of Homeland Security issued a stark warning over the weekend; saying “domestic terrorists” could be plotting an attack during the 4th of July holiday.
“Federal authorities are warning that white supremacists and other political radicals could look to attack Independence Day revelers on July 4, noting in a bulletin to law enforcement around the country that domestic terrorists ‘have attacked perceived oppressors, opponents, or enemies engaged in outdoor First Amendment-protected rallies or protests during past summers,’” reports ABC News.
“The warning came in a joint intelligence bulletin issued by the FBI, Department of Homeland Security and National Counterterrorism Center, urging law enforcement personnel to remain vigilant for suspicious activity,” adds the website.
“The FBI, DHS, and NCTC remain concerned that [they] could target upcoming Independence Day celebrations, gatherings, or parades, though we are unaware of any current plots specifically targeting such events,” stated the bulletin, obtained by ABC News. “We note that attacks can occur with little to no warning because of the frequently lower levels of security around civilian targets, challenges in securing large crowds, and calls for attacks against soft targets.”
The warning comes hours after the Pentagon confirmed American airstrikes killed at least eight al Qaeda terrorists in Syria.
The Pentagon confirmed Monday a lethal airstrike against an al Qaeda terror training facility in Syria; killing multiple targets who were actively plotting attacks against “American citizens” outside of the Middle East.
“A U.S. military airstrike Sunday struck an Al Qaeda leadership and training facility in northern Syria where militants were ‘plotting external attacks’ against American citizens,” reports Fox News. “The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, an opposition-linked war monitor, said Monday the strike killed eight members of the Al Qaeda-linked Horas al-Din.”
“The last known strike was launched in mid-March 2017 in northwest Syria’s Aleppo Province killing dozens of fighters, days before the U.S. military launched cruise missiles targeting an airfield in Syria linked to a chemical weapons attack the Trump administration blamed on Syria President Bashar al-Assad,” adds the article.
The strike comes days after US officials warned of an ongoing ISIS plot to smuggle terrorists into the United States through the southern border.
“A chilling confession from a captured ISIS fighter has shed light on how the terrorist group intended to exploit the vulnerabilities of the U.S. border with Mexico, using English speakers and westerners to take advantage of smuggling routes and target financial institutions,” reports Fox News.
“Seized ISIS fighter Abu Henricki, a Canadian citizen with dual citizenship with Trinidad, last month said that he was sought out by the violent insurgency’s leadership to attack the U.S from a route starting in Central America, according to a study by the International Center for the Study of Violent Extremism (ICSVE) and published in Homeland Security Today,” adds the author.
“ISIS has organized plots in Europe with returnees so it seems entirely plausible that they wanted to send guys out to attack. The issue that makes a North American attack harder is the travel is more difficult from Syria,” said Anne Speckhard, who co-conducted the study. “So the idea that they would instead use people who were not known to their own governments as having joined ISIS might make it possible for them to board airplanes.”
AL QAEDA RETURNS: Terror Leader Calls for ‘NEW JIHAD’ Against US
Al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri resurfaced over the weekend after months of hiding and questions over his health; releasing a five-minute video that called for a new “jihad” against the United States and its western allies.
The video, titled “Tel Aviv is Also a Land of Muslims” slammed the Trump administration for its decision to relocate the US embassy to Jerusalem, saying the Americans were “clear and explicit” in their “modern crusade” against Muslims across the world.
“[Americans] are the first enemy of the Muslims, and swore that it will not dream of security until it is lived in reality in Palestine, and until all the armies of disbelief leave the land of Muhammad,” he added.
Zawahiri took control of the global terror network after US forced killed Osama bin Laden in 2011, choosing to avoid the spotlight after the United States shifted its anti-terror efforts to focus on ISIS in Syria and Iraq.
Despite the warnings, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo believes the Mideast peace process is “decidedly not dead,” telling Fox News “We’re hard at work on it. We hope we can achieve a successful outcome there as well.”
Read the full story here.
AL QAEDA RETURNS? US Offers $1M for Info on Bin Laden’s Son; Saudi Arabia STRIPS Citizenship
Saudi Arabia stripped Osama bin Laden’s son of his Kingdom citizenship Friday after the United States offered $1 million for information leading to his capture; sparking new speculation his father’s terror organization is trying to stage a comeback in the Middle East.
“Saudi Arabia’s foreign ministry announced Friday that it was revoking the citizenship of Hamza bin Laden, son of the slain Al Qaeda leader responsible for the 9/11 terrorist attacks,” reports Fox News.
Hamza bin Laden was officially designated a “global terrorist” over two years ago by the US State Department after American officials confirmed he had taken the helm of the vast terror network from Egyptian leader Ayman al-Zawahiri.
US Navy Seals tracked and killed Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad, Pakistan in 2011 after hiding from global authorities since the American military launched Operation Enduring Freedom following the September 11th, 2001 terror attacks.
Read the full report at Fox News.