A “handful” of Central American migrants launched a “hunger strike” this week; telling reporters they’re protesting the Mexican authorities currently blocking them from reaching the United States border.
According to Reuters, Mexican authorities began transporting hundreds of immigrants to new facilities to ease the burden on Tijuana residents and local police.
“A handful of the thousands of Central American migrants camped out at the U.S.-Mexican border waiting to plead their case for asylum in the United States launched a hunger strike on Thursday to protest the Mexican police blocking their way,” writes Reuters.
“What the police are doing is unfair. The truth is we are fighting for our rights,” said one member of the ‘caravan.’ “Why are (the police) treating us like this if we’re not causing them or the Mexican people any trouble?”
President Trump threatened to “permanently” close key sections of the US-Mexico border earlier this week should the crisis continue to escalate.
Read the full story here.
CARAVAN UPDATE: DHS Says Group Now Numbers 8,500, 90% Ineligible for Asylum, More 'On Their Way'
The Department of Homeland Security issued a new statement on the ‘migrant caravan’ at the United States’ southern border Tuesday; saying the “overwhelming majority” of immigrants are not eligible for asylum.
“Given the activities of the last 24 hours at the San Ysidro Port of Entry, I want to provide an update on what occurred and attempt to dispel many of the rumors and much of the misinformation circulating,” said DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen. “The caravan is far larger and more organized than previous ones. There are 8,500 caravan members in Tijuana and Mexicali. There are reports of additional caravans on their way.”
#ICYMI, yesterday @SecNielsen gave an update on the situation at the #SanYsidro Port of Entry. https://t.co/eytoOYvBNi
— Homeland Security (@DHSgov) November 27, 2018
“The overwhelming majority of these individuals are not eligible for asylum in the United States under our laws. Historically, less than 10% of those who claim asylum from #Guatemala, #Honduras, and #ElSalvadorare found eligible by a federal judge. 90% are not eligible,” she added.
Read her full statement here.
CARAVAN CRISIS: ‘Hundreds’ of Central American Migrants Reach US, Mattis Heads to Border
Hundreds of Central American migrants from a “breakaway” caravan group reached the US-Mexico border Wednesday; prompting Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis to head to the region as tension swirls.
As the ‘migrant caravan’ approached the border at Tijuana, Secretary Mattis departed for Donna, Texas where he is set to meet with active duty troops patrolling the border as thousands of immigrants march north.
“As we have said repeatedly, being a member of a caravan doesn’t give you any special rights to enter the country,” DHS spokeswoman Katie Waldman told Fox News. “If they arrive at a Port of Entry, they will have to wait in line in keeping with the lawful processes at our ports of entry. If they attempt to enter illegally, they will have violated U.S. criminal law and in accordance with the President’s proclamation and the Interim Final Rule they would be ineligible for asylum.”
“We’ll update you on costs as they become known,” Secretary Mattis told reporters on the estimated price of the deployment. “Obviously, the units executing the border mission have got to report them right up here. We are capturing the costs.”
Read the full report at Fox News.