Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg confirmed Tuesday afternoon that he will not run for the White House in 2020; ending months of speculation on whether the billionaire businessman would take on President Trump in the coming months.
“Michael R. Bloomberg, the former New York City mayor who joined the Democratic Party last year to crusade against President Trump, has decided not to challenge Mr. Trump as a candidate in the 2020 election,” reports the New York Times.
“Rather than entering the race himself, Mr. Bloomberg intends to plow his political energy and immense personal fortune into other efforts to thwart Mr. Trump and his agenda, including an initiative aimed at rapidly accelerating the country’s transition to renewable energy,” adds the article.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
2020 VISION: Mike Bloomberg Visits Iowa, Sparks Speculation of Potential White House Run
Billionaire Democrat and former Mayor of New York City Michael Bloomberg visited Iowa this week; speaking with supporters in the pivotal state just weeks before he’s expected to make an announcement regarding a potential run for the White House.
Bloomberg was addressing progressive voters while promoting his new documentary about climate change; saying Democrats “have to do something” now that they’ve taken control of the House of Representatives.
“If they just sit back and do the same thing that the people they just ousted did then I’m not gonna be happy and I’ve told Nancy Pelosi that,” said Bloomberg.
“They are used to having candidates from around the country come here every four years,” said Bloomberg. “They’ve seen it all and they understand you’re coming here because you want to get to know them and solicit the votes.”
Read the full story here.
BIG BUCKS: Mike Bloomberg Poised to DROP $500 MILLION to Take-On Trump
Former New York City mayor and potential 2020 candidate Michael Bloomberg is prepared to spend more than $500 million to take on President Trump during the 2020 election.
“Billionaire philanthropist Michael Bloomberg is preparing to spend at least $500 million from his own pocket to deny President Donald Trump a second term, according to Democratic operatives briefed on his plans,” reports Politico.
Michael Bloomberg is preparing to spend at least $500 million from his own pocket to deny President Trump a second termhttps://t.co/yCbp0kRNk1
— POLITICO (@politico) February 13, 2019
“That’ll get us through the first few months,” said a top Bloomberg political advisor.
“Mike spent $100 million in his last New York City election. And you can do the math as you think more broadly but New York City is 3 percent of the national population,” he added. “I’m not suggesting it’s straight math. But I’m suggesting that when Mike Bloomberg is committed to making a difference and seeing something though, generally speaking he’s pretty unabashed in doing so.”
Read the full report at Politico.