The lone gunman behind the deadly terror attack that took place in Strasbourg, France Tuesday night is confirmed dead by police following a continent-wide manhunt, reports Fox News.
“A wide-scale manhunt for the suspect had been ongoing since the shooting earlier this week. Three people were killed in the attack and several others injured, police said,” writes Fox News. “The National Police of the North, in a translated tweet, thanked the public for their reports which helped ‘find the wanted individual.’”
Merci pour vos signalements qui ont permis de retrouver l'individu recherché. https://t.co/N3U3b3O73R
— Police Nationale 59 (@PoliceNat59) December 13, 2018
The man suspected of opening fire at a Christmas market and killing three people has been shot dead, according to reports.
Cherif Chekatt killed three and injured another 13 people in the French city of Strasbourg on Tuesday.
More here: https://t.co/vvJ26ZLSdT pic.twitter.com/guJXdVTTec
— Sky News (@SkyNews) December 13, 2018
According to Fox News, the suspect was killed in a shoot-out with French authorities.
This is a developing story.
EUROPE MANHUNT: Strasbourg Shooter Had 27 PRIOR Convictions, May Have Escaped into Germany
The 29-year-old suspect behind the deadly mass shooting in Strasbourg, France Tuesday evening had 27 prior convictions in France, Germany, and Switzerland and was known to French authorities as a potential “risk to the state.”
According to Reuters, Strasbourg-born Cherif Chekatt reportedly fled the scene in a taxi and possibly crossed the border into Germany following his assault on a Christmas Market.
“Considering the target, his way of operating, his profile and the testimonies of those who heard him yell ‘Allahu Akbar’, the anti-terrorist police has been called into action,” said the French prosecutor overseeing the case.
JUST IN: Strasbourg shooting suspect 'Cherif C' has been previously convicted 27 times in France, Germany and Switzerland – Paris public prosecutor pic.twitter.com/0KB9Oy4etT
— Reuters (@Reuters) December 12, 2018
“French and German agents checked vehicles and public transport crossing the Rhine river, along which the Franco-German frontier runs, backing up traffic in both directions. Hundreds of French troops and police were taking part in the manhunt,” adds Reuters. “Deputy Interior Minister Laurent Nunez said he could not rule out that the fugitive had already crossed the frontier.”
Read the full report here.
MANHUNT: Suspect in Strasbourg Shooting Identified, Was on ‘Terror Watch List’
The suspected gunman behind the deadly shooting in Strasbourg, France Tuesday evening has been identified and was on a “Terror Watch List,” though officials refused to release the man’s name or age.
“A shooting in the French city of Strasbourg killed two people and wounded at least eight others, officials said. The shooting sparked a major security operation around a world-famous Christmas market on Tuesday. The gunman, who is at large, has been identified and had been flagged as a suspected extremist,” writes CBS News.
JUST IN: French police: Strasbourg shooting suspect is known to authorities, and on a terrorist watch list; suspect remains at large; everyone in the Neudorf area warned to stay indoors.
— NBC News (@NBCNews) December 11, 2018
“JUST IN: French police: Strasbourg shooting suspect is known to authorities, and on a terrorist watch list; suspect remains at large; everyone in the Neudorf area warned to stay indoors,” adds NBC News.