A group of leaders in the State of Illinois are demanding the school board “remove current history books” until they develop a suitable “alternative” curriculum for students and teachers.
“The miseducation of our children must stop,” said Meleika Gardner of We Will in a statement. “It is urgent that it comes to an end as we witness our current climate become more hostile. Miseducation has fed and continues to feed systemic racism for generations. If Black History continues to be devalued and taught incorrectly, then it will call for further action.”
“When it comes to teaching history in Illinois, we need to end the miseducation of Illinoisans,” added State Representative Lawshawn Ford. “I’m calling on the Illinois State Board of Education and local school districts to take immediate action by removing current history books and curriculum practices that unfairly communicate our history. Until a suitable alternative is developed, we should instead devote greater attention toward civics and ensuring students understand our democratic processes and how they can be involved. I’m also alarmed that people continue to display symbols of hate, such as the recent display of the Confederate flag in Evanston.”
“As Mayor, I am not comfortable speaking on education, curriculum, and whether history lessons should be suspended. This is not my area. Personally, I support House Bill 4954 because I am interested in learning more and believe the history of Black people should be taught to all children and include all groups, Women, LatinX, and Native Indians who helped to build America,” Evanston Mayor Steve Hagerty said in a statement.
Read the full report at ABC Chicago.
CHICAGO SPIRALS: 20 People Shot Monday, 2 Killed Hours After Funeral Home Shoot-Out
From Fox News:
Just hours after at least 14 people were wounded in a drive-by shooting outside of a funeral home on Chicago’s South Side Tuesday evening, two men were killed in the city in separate shootings, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.
In one incident, a 30-year-old was fatally shot while sitting on a porch with a 32-year-old man. They were outside a home on West Morgan Street on the far South Side around 11 p.m. when two men approached them and opened fire, according to the Sun-Times.
The 32-year-old suffered a non-life-threatening gunshot wound and is reportedly in fair condition.
A 28-year-old man was shot in the chest and pronounced dead in a separate drive-by shooting around an hour later.
Neither man has been identified and no arrests have been made. The investigations are ongoing, according to the Sun-Times.
Less than six hours earlier, attendees leaving a funeral for a man reportedly killed in a shooting last week were fired upon by suspects in a speeding car.
Read the full report at Fox News.
CHICAGO SPIRALS: At Least 70 People Shot, 10 Dead Including 4 Children Over Father’s Day Weekend
Gun violence in the nation’s third largest city continued to spiral out of control over the weekend, with at least 70 people shot and 10 dead -including four children- in less than 72 hours.
“Ten people were killed, including four children, and at least 60 others wounded in shootings across Chicago over the weekend, police said.
The youngest of those killed this weekend was 3-year-old Mekhi James. The little boy had just gotten haircut with his stepdad in the 600-block of North Central Avenue at about 6:25 p.m. Saturday when police said a vehicle pulled up next to them in traffic on the West Side and someone started shooting from inside,” reports ABC Chicago.
“These kids are not criminals,” said Chicago Police Chief of Detectives Brendan Deenihan. “They are not gang members. They have nothing to do with the ongoing disputes out there and they just get gunned down for no reason at all.”
“These individuals that are discharging these weapons don’t have a clue what they are sending these families through,” said community activist Andrew Holmes.
Read the full report at ABC Chicago.