Federal prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for the suspect behind this weekend’s deadly assault inside the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; saying he should receive the ultimate penalty after murdering 11 people during his hate-filled massacre.
“Marc Raimondi, a spokesman for the U.S. Department of Justice, said the U.S. attorney for the Western District of Pennsylvania ‘has initiated the approval process’ to seek the death penalty for 46-year-old Robert Bowers,” writes Fox News.
“The ultimate decision regarding capital charges rests with the U.S. attorney general, Jeff Sessions,” Maimondi told Fox News in a statement.
According to prosecutors, Bowers entered the Tree of Life Synagogue in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood armed with multiple firearms; shooting indiscriminately during Saturday morning services.
Eleven people -eight men and three women- were killed during the rampage.
Read the full report at Fox News.
BROWARD BOMBSHELL: Deputy TOLD POLICE to 'STAY AWAY' from High School During Shooting
The disgraced Sheriff’s Deputy who maintained a “defensive position” and refused to enter the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School during last month’s mass shooting reportedly told fellow officers to “stay away” from the building; instructing them to remain at least 500 feet back as people lay dying.
According to the Miami Herald, Deputy Scot Peterson told the Broward County Sheriff’s Department, “Do not approach the 12 or 1300 building, stay at least 500 feet away.” Newly released audiotape of police scanners confirm Peterson’s comments; with screams heard in the background as the shooting unfolded.
The records confirm Peterson was well aware that the incident was occurring inside the building; directly refuting his claims he believed the gunman was last seen near the football field.
“It certainly backs up that he never went into the school,” said the president of the Broward County Sheriff’s police union. “At one point he says to keep back 500 feet. Why would he say that?”
Peterson became the center of a media firestorm after reports emerged he refused to enter the building as the carnage unfolded; allowing 19-year old Nikolas Cruz to kill 17 people and injure dozens more without confrontation.
'SICK WORLD': Country Music Stars React to Vegas Massacre
h/t Rare Country