Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told Congressional leaders Thursday that North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un went completely silent ahead of the June 12th summit; adding Kim’s team failed to respond to US officials requests while preparing the face-to-face meeting.
According to the Daily Mail, Pompeo was speaking with Senators when he shed new light on President Trump’s recent decision to cancel the talks, saying the relationship between the US and North Korea will revert to “situation normal.”
“Over the past many days, we have endeavored to do what Chairman Kim and I had agreed, [which] was to put teams, preparation teams together, to begin to work to prepare for the summit,” said the Secretary of State. “And we had received no response to our inquiries from them.”
President Trump officially canceled the summit Thursday morning, blaming Kim’s “tremendous anger” and “open hostilities” for wrecking the first face-to-face meeting between the leaders of both nations in history.
“You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used,” the president wrote.
Read the full story at the Daily Mail.
CRISIS IN KOREA: Kim AIMS at ‘Repugnant’ John Bolton Ahead of Summit
North Korean authorities set their sights directly on National Security Advisor John Bolton Wednesday, saying they do not “hide their feelings of repugnance” towards the senior Trump aide while threatening to scuttle future talks with American officials.
North Korea’s Deputy Foreign Minister Kim Kye-gwan slammed the NSA while speaking with the state-run news agency this week; saying the communist regime remembers Bolton’s remarks from 2003 labeling Kim Jong Un’s father a “tyrannical dictator.”
“We do not hide our feelings of repugnance towards him,” said Kim.
The Foreign Minister went on to warn American officials that his country refuses to follow the “miserable fate” of Libya, whose leader Muammar Gaddafi was violently overthrown after voluntarily abandoning his nuclear weapons program.
“This is not an expression of intention to address the issue through dialogue. It is essentially a manifestation of awfully sinister moves to impose on our dignified state the destiny of Libya or Iraq which had [sic] been collapsed due to yielding the whole of their countries to big powers,” added Kim.
DOOMSDAY BACK ON? Kim SLAMS ‘Ignorant and Incompetent’ South Korea
North Korean officials directly rebuked South Korea’s offer to help “broker” the high-stakes summit between President Trump and Kim Jong Un Thursday; slamming their southern neighbors as “ignorant and incompetent.”
According to the New York Post, the Chairman of North Korea’s Reunification Committee harshly rejected Seoul’s suggestion that South Korea help “mediate” the upcoming meeting between US and Korean officials.
“On this opportunity, the present south Korean authorities have been clearly proven to be an ignorant and incompetent group devoid of the elementary sense of the present situation,” said a written statement from Chairman Ri Son Gwon.
“Unless the serious situation which led to the suspension of the north-south high-level talks is settled, it will never be easy to sit face to face again with the present regime of south Korea,” it added.
North Korean officials suddenly cut-off communications with South Korea and threatened to withdraw from the upcoming summit earlier this week; accusing the United States of practicing “invasion” drills during a joint military exercise.