“Hi, goodnight everybody.”
It was a rough night for candidate John Fetterman —unless you ask his campaign team.
“We are thrilled with John’s performance. He did remarkably well tonight — especially when you consider that he’s still recovering from a stroke and was working off of delayed captions filled with errors. John won countless exchanges, counter-punched aggressively, and pushed back on Oz’s cruelty and attacks,” said Joe Calvello, Fetterman’s communications director.
Debate sponsor Nexstar says there was nothing wrong with the closed captioning system.
“It is unfortunate that Mr. Fetterman is now criticizing the closed captioning process employed by Nexstar during tonight’s debate,” Nexstar communications chief Gary Weitman said in a statement. “Both candidates agreed to the technical set-up for the closed captioning process weeks ago, which was implemented at the request of the Fetterman campaign. Both candidates were offered the opportunity for two full rehearsals with the same equipment used in tonight’s debate; Mr. Fetterman chose to do only one.”
“In fact, Nexstar’s production team went to extraordinary lengths to ensure the effectiveness of the closed captioning process, and to accommodate several last-minute requests of the Fetterman campaign,” he said. “The closed captioning process functioned as expected during rehearsal and again during tonight’s debate. We regret that Mr. Fetterman and his campaign feel otherwise.”
From Fox News:
Human captioning transcribed every word spoken by the moderators and Oz, but Fetterman’s remarks were left out, according to WHTM. The captions were shown on two 70-inch monitors displayed behind the moderators.
According to a FOX News poll conducted last month, Fetterman leads Oz 45% to 41% among likely Pennsylvania voters.
More over at Fox News:
Nexstar refutes Fetterman campaign's claims that closed captioning was 'filled with errors' https://t.co/Y62XHGNhrD
— Fox News (@FoxNews) October 26, 2022