North Korean authorities announced Friday evening that the Hermit Kingdom will suspend all missile tests and shut down its nuclear testing facilities; setting the stage for next month’s high-stakes meeting between Kim Jong Un and President Trump.
According to Fox News, the North Korean regime announced their decision to suspend their weapons programs just hours after delegations from North and South Korea held negotiations to find a “permanent” settlement to the 68-year long war.
“From April 21, North Korea will stop nuclear tests and launches of intercontinental ballistic missiles,” the Korean Central News Agency said, according to Yonhap News. “The North will shut down a nuclear test site in the country’s northern side to prove the vow to suspend nuclear test.”
“They have not attached any conditions that the U.S. cannot accept, such as the withdrawal of American troops from South Korea. All they are expressing is the end of hostile policies against North Korea, followed by a guarantee of security,” said South Korean President Moon Jae-in.
KOREA SHOCKER: Mike Pompeo SECRETLY MET Kim Jong Un Weeks Ago
Secretary of State nominee and current CIA Director Mike Pompeo held secret, high-level talks with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un over Easter Weekend; clearing the path for upcoming negotiations between the despot and President Trump.
According to the Chicago Tribune, the CIA chief spoke with Kim regarding next month’s high-stakes meeting with Trump, as well as the full denuclearization of the Korean peninsula and the possible end of the 68-year-long Korean War.
“I’m optimistic that the United States government can set the conditions for that appropriately so that the president and the North Korean leader can have that conversation will set us down the course of achieving a diplomatic outcome that America so desperately – America and the world so desperately need,” Pompeo told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee during his confirmation hearings earlier this month.
“We have had direct talks at very high levels, extremely high levels with North Korea,” Trump said during his recent trip to Florida, refusing to confirm or deny the meeting.
DOOMSDAY DELAY: North and South Korea UNITE for 2018 Olympics
Kim Jong Un’s brutal North Korean regime will march alongside their southern neighbors during the opening ceremonies of the upcoming 2018 Winter Olympic Games; officially entering the competition under a “unified Korean” flag.
Both North and South Korean officials announced the decision Wednesday, signaling a further flaw in the ice-cold relations between the two countries that have technically been in a state of war since 1950.
The flag –a blue silhouette of the Korean peninsula against a white background- will officially replace the South Korean flag during the ceremonies; the first time a host nation will not open the competition under their own flag.
The two nations also confirmed their intention to unite their female hockey teams into a single roster.
Following weeks of negotiations, North Korea is prepared to send its delegation of over 200 athletes, reporters, and supporters into South Korea. The “easing of tensions” began earlier this year when dictator Kim Jong Un wished the staunch American ally a “successful” Olympic Games.
The two nations will unite under a unified flag when the games began February 9th.