Sitting Florida Governor and potential Senator Rick Scott announced his campaign’s plan to sue Broward County this week; demanding the Elections Supervisor hand-over records on how votes are currently being tallied.
According to Fox News, Scott unveiled his decision Thursday night; accusing “election officials in Broward and Palm Beach counties of trying to thwart the will of the voters, as recounts seem likely for several statewide races.”
“The people of Florida deserve fairness and transparency and the supervisors are failing to give it to us,” Scott said.
The lawsuit claims Supervisor Brenda Snipes is “unwilling to disclose records revealing how many electors voted.”
Read the full story here.
BROWARD BREAKDOWN: Accusations Mount over Florida Corruption, Mystery Deliveries, Slow Counting
Broward County, Florida was once again thrust into the national spotlight this week over complaints of possible corruption and voter regularities following Tuesday’s high-stakes midterm elections.
“Lawyers are descending on Florida as the state braces once again to become ground zero in a national election fight, and the epicenter appears to be Broward County where late-arriving ballots in Democratic strongholds are fueling accusations of political shenanigans,” writes Fox News.
Senator Marco Rubio slammed county officials on social media Friday, saying Broward “still hasn’t finished & won’t disclose how many ballots are left.”
Early Voting in #BrowardCounty ended 108 hours ago. Every other county,including neighboring Miami-Dade (which had 100k more votes cast) was able to canvass,tabulate & report to state by deadline. But #Broward still hasn’t finished & won’t disclose how many ballots are left.
— Marco Rubio (@marcorubio) November 9, 2018
“The incompetence & the violation of #Florida reporting requirements by [Broward] elections dept could impact more than just the outcome. The last thing our already dangerously divided nation needs is an important election 1/2 our people believe was rigged by the other 1/2,” Rubio tweeted.
Read the full story at Fox News.
DODGY DEBBIE: Judge Says Florida Ballots ILLEGALLY DESTROYED in Schultz Race
A Florida judge ruled last week that county officials violated federal regulations and illegally destroyed ballots from a 2016 primary race won by Debbie Wasserman Schultz; adding guidelines require the votes be kept for at least 22 months after an election.
“Circuit Judge Raag Singhal decided that the records were wrongly destroyed because the laws require elections offices to keep the ballots in federal elections for 22 months. Elections Supervisor Brenda Snipes destroyed the ballots just after 12 months,” writes Fox News.
“[The supervisor] has not presented any evidence refuting that the public records sought were destroyed while this case was pending before this court,” said the judge.
The initial lawsuit was filed by Tim Canova, Schultz’ opponent who urged the county to examine “voter irregularities” during the primary season.
He lost to Schultz by just 7,000 votes.
Florida Governor Rick Scott announced this week that his administration will deploy “election experts” to Broward County during the 2018 midterm elections to “ensure that all laws are followed.”