The mass shooter that opened fire at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School wants his victims to have his inheritance, hoping the money could help “heal the community” according to his lawyer.
19-year old gunman Nikolas Cruz has reportedly instructed his attorney to distribute his $800,000 inheritance when he receives the funds on his 22nd birthday, saying he “does not want those funds.”
“He would like that money donated to an organization that the victims’ family believes would be able to facilitate healing in our community or an opportunity to educate our community about the issues that have ripened over the last four or five months,” said lawyer Melissa McNeill.
“Let it go to those who have been hurt, period,” said another member of his legal team.
Cruz killed 17 people and injured dozens more at his former high school earlier this year; kickstarting a national dialogue on gun control and school safety.
Read the full story at Fox News.
FLORIDA FAIL: New Report Shows Sheriff NOTIFIED 45 TIMES About School Shooter
While the Broward County Sheriff’s Department struggles to downplay fierce criticism over their handling of the devastating school shooting that stunned southern Florida this month, new data shows the agency was notified at least 45 times regarding the gunman’s erratic behavior.
Despite Sheriff Scott Israel’s insistence that his agency received 23 calls regarding 19-year old Nikolas Cruz, records released by the department show at least 45 calls were made to the Broward County Sheriff’s office between 2008 and 2017.
The new details raise even more questions over how local law enforcement and the FBI missed multiple red flags that should have prevented Cruz’s rampage at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
The FBI found itself in hot water this week over their response to “multiple tips” regarding Cruz, including information from a family insider that worried the gunman would “go into a school and just shoot the place up.”
Nikolas Cruz confessed to the deadly mass shooting at the Parkland, Florida high school on February 14; killing seventeen individuals and injuring scores more.
AMERICAN HEROES: Florida Survivors Used BULLET PROOF SHEETS to Protect Fellow Students
Two survivors at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in southern Florida used “Kevlar sheets” from a Junior Reserve Officer’s Training Corps course to help shield their fellow students from a hail of gunfire; saving countless lives and untold injuries during the mass shooting.
The students spoke with Tampa’s Fox affiliate, discussing their plan to protect those around them when they began to “hear the pops” as 19-year old Nikolas Cruz opened fire on students at the local high school.
“I heard the pops, I heard the fire drill, and I knew there was a shooter,” said one student. “I looked at all the kids behind me, just looking at me frozen, and I yelled to them ‘Run back to the classroom, go back now!”
“In our JROTC program, we have a team that’s called marksmanship, so our backdrop for the targets that we shoot are actually kevlar sheets that we hang,” he added. “We put everybody behind them. That way they were all at least somewhat safe because the kevlar—it wouldn’t have stopped a bullet, but it would have slowed it down a lot so that the damage someone would have received from it, God forbid, would have been a lot less.”
Watch the heroes’ comments above.