The 24-year old suspect behind a string of devastating bombings that rocked Texas this month ended his life in dramatic fashion late Tuesday; blowing himself up as a SWAT team approached his vehicle.
According to Fox News, the bomber -identified as Mark Anthony Conditt- was killed outside his motel where he reportedly orchestrated his campaign of explosions that terrorized Austin and central Texas for four weeks.
“We wanted this to come to a peaceful resolution tonight,” said Austin Police Chief Brian Manley. “However, we were not afforded that opportunity when he started to drive away.”
“Police said the man detonated two package bombs as police closed in, firing at him. It was not immediately clear whether he died from the bombs or shots fired by police. One officer was knocked back by the blasts, but none were seriously hurt,” writes Fox.
Police are warning local residents that more “package bombs” may be out there, and are urging Texans to remain vigilant.
“We don’t know where he has been in the past 24 hours,” Manley said. “If you see something that looks suspicious, see something out of place, see something that gives you concern, call 911.”
AUSTIN ON EDGE: ‘Trip Wire’ Explosion ROCKS TEXAS, 2 Injured
A fourth explosion rocked Austin, Texas Sunday evening; injuring two bicyclists as local and federal authorities scramble to find the culprit behind the seemingly random attacks before the attacker can strike again.
According to Fox News, the blast was possibly caused when the bicyclists triggered a ‘trip wire,’ signaling the suspect has a more “advanced” knowledge of bomb-making than previously thought and may be preparing to ratchet up the sophistication of their attacks.
“If this explosion was the result of a bomb using trip wire technology, that is showing a different level of skill above that we were already concerned that this suspect or suspects may possess,” said Austin Police Chief Brian Manley.
“That changes things, in that our safety message to this point has been involving the handling of packages and telling communities ‘do not handle packages, do not pick up packages, do not disturb packages,’” he added.
“Two men in their 20s suffered non-life threatening injuries in the blast, including one who had nails in his leg,” writes Fox.
If confirmed by the FBI and ATF, this would be the fourth explosion to rock the Texan capital in as many weeks.
MONEY TALKS: Police RAISE REWARD to Find Austin 'SERIAL BOMBER'
Local and federal authorities in Austin now believe the fourth explosion to rock the Texas capital over the weekend is linked to three other incidents in as many weeks; signaling the random attacks appear to be the work of a “serial bomber.”
According to USA Today, state officials are now offering a total of $115,000 for any information regarding the blasts; with dozens of police officers and FBI agents swarming the town as authorities race to find the culprit.
“These events in Austin have garnered worldwide attention, and we assure you that we are listening,” interim Police Chief Brian Manley said at a news conference. “We want to understand what brought you to this point, and we want to listen to you.”
Manley’s comments come as two people are dead, three people injured, and a 70-year-old woman was left fighting for her life after a string of deadly explosions shook central Texas.
“We’re hoping to encourage [the bomber] to come forward with the addition of this tip money that’s now available,” added the police chief. “The person or persons understand what that message is, and is responsible for constructing or delivering these devices, and we hope this person or persons is watching and will reach out to us before anyone else is injured or killed out of this even.”