International

DEVELOPING: Two Additional Americans Reportedly Dead After Visiting the Dominican Republic

posted by Hannity Staff - 6.21.19

Two more Americans are reportedly dead after a vacation to the Dominican Republic; raising serious travel and safety concerns for the popular tourist destination from the United States.

“Two more Americans — a man from Kansas and a woman from Pennsylvania — died during vacations in the Dominican Republic, amid a recent spate of tourist deaths in the country, according to a new report,” reports the New York Post.

The families of Chris Palmer — a 41-year-old Army veteran from Kansas who died on April 18, 2018, and Barbara Diane Maser-Mitchell, a 69-year-old retired nurse from Pennsylvania who died on Sept. 17, 2016 — came forward to Fox News to report their deaths,” adds the Post.

The spat of deaths and illnesses sparked the FBI to deploy agents to the island; probing pools, air conditioners, food, and water at luxury resorts to determine the cause of the mysterious ailments.

The Dominican Republic was also thrust into global headlines last week when new details emerged surrounding an assassination plot against Red Sox legend David Ortiz.

Ortiz survived a brutal assassination attempt in the Dominican Republic weeks ago, with local authorities saying the plot involved an $8,000 bounty, two cars, one motorcycle, and more than six men.

“While the motive behind the attempted murder remains a mystery, investigators now believe the conspirators met earlier that night regarding a $7,800 bounty that was placed on the former Boston Red Sox slugger’s head,” reports Fox News.

The ambush occurred Sunday night at a restaurant in Santo Domingo.

“Ortiz, affectionately known as Big Papi, was shot inside the Dial Lounge and Bar. Witnesses captured at least one man, beat him and waited until police arrived to scoop him up to jail. Two other suspects were arrested Tuesday, police said,” adds Fox.

“In one of the videos it was possible to observe both the accused and the shooter planning the commission of the incident,” prosecutors said.

According to eye witnesses, a lone shooter jumped off his motorcycle, walked-up to Ortiz, and opened fire “without saying a word.” The man was chased by onlookers and fled while holding the firearm.

“Rolfy Ferrera Cruz, who was identified as the alleged gunman, Joel Rodriguez Cruz, Reynaldo Rodriguez Valenzuela, Acosta, Vasquez and Garcia were all arrested in connection with the Ortiz shooting. Garcia was charged Tuesday with being an accomplice to the murder,” reports Fox.

Read the full report at the New York Post.