From Fox News:
The Senate Intelligence Committee found that the FBI gave the unverified anti-Trump dossier “unjustified credence,” and that Russia “took advantage” of members of the Trump transition team’s “relative inexperience in government” in its final report as part of its years-long bipartisan Russia investigation.
The panel on Tuesday released the fifth and final volume of its five-part report on Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.
“Over the last three years, the Senate Intelligence Committee conducted a bipartisan and thorough investigation into Russian efforts to influence the 2016 election and undermine our democracy,” Acting Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Marco Rubio, R-Fla., said in a statement Tuesday. “We interviewed over 200 witnesses and reviewed over 1 million pages of documents.”
He added: “No probe into this matter has been more exhaustive.”
“We can say, without any hesitation, that the Committee found absolutely no evidence that then-candidate Donald Trump or his campaign colluded with the Russian government to meddle in the 2016 election,” Rubio said. “What the Committee did find, however, is very troubling.”
Rubio detailed the committee’s findings, which included “irrefutable evidence of Russian meddling” and “deeply troubling actions taken” by the FBI, “particularly their acceptance and willingness to rely on the ‘Steele Dossier’ without verifying its methodology or sourcing.”
Read the full report here.
'Trump Dossier' Author Christopher Steele to Speak with US Investigators
The author of the now-debunked ‘Trump Dossier’ has reportedly agreed to speak with US investigators regarding his role in creating the key document used to justify FISA warrants against the Trump campaign in 2016.
“Former British spy Christopher Steele, the author of the anti-Trump dossier of salacious and unverified claims about the president’s ties to Russia, has agreed to be questioned by investigators from the United States, according to a report in Britain,” reports Fox News.
“The Times (UK) cited sources close to Steele on Tuesday in reporting that the 54-year-old is set to be interviewed in London within weeks. The development comes as attention has returned to the dossier authored by Steele — especially since its more sensational claims were not substantiated by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, whose report found no evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia during the 2016 election,” adds the article.
Attorney General William Barr questioned the DOJ’s use of the infamous ‘Steele Dossier’ to obtain FISA warrants against the Trump campaign last month; saying the document has a “number of clear mistakes.”
“It’s a very unusual situation to have opposition research like that, especially one that on its face had a number of clear mistakes and a somewhat jejune analysis,” Barr told Fox News’ Bill Hemmer.
“And to use that to conduct counterintelligence against an American political campaign is a strange — would be strange development,” he added.
The FBI’s use of the now-debunked Dossier to surveil Trump campaign insiders is the subject of the Attorney General’s latest investigation; appointing a US prosecutor to “get to the bottom” of what occurred ahead of the 2016 presidential election.
“Fox News reported on Monday that Attorney General Bill Barr had assigned John Durham, the U.S. attorney in Connecticut, to conduct the inquiry into alleged misconduct and alleged improper government surveillance on the Trump campaign during the 2016 presidential election, as well as whether Democrats were the ones who improperly colluded with foreign actors,” reports Fox News.
“I am reviewing the conduct of the investigation and trying to get my arms around the aspects of the counterintelligence investigation that was conducted in the summer of 2016,” Barr testified on April 9.
Read the full report at Fox News.
ADAM’S ADMISSION: Schiff Memo ACTUALLY CONFIRMS FBI’s Misuse of ‘Trump Dossier’
Ranking Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee Adam Schiff released his highly-anticipated “rebuttal” to Rep. Devin Nunes’ bombshell FISA report over the weekend; inadvertently confirming the FBI’s use of the ‘Trump Dossier’ to obtain surveillance warrants.
According to former assistant US attorney Andrew McCarthy, Schiff’s report details the bureau’s use of Christopher Steele’s shady dossier to obtain FISA warrants against the Trump campaign, saying the Democrat “rebuttal” shows the “FBI and Justice Department heavily relied on the Steel Dossier’s uncorroborated allegations.”
“You know this is true because, notwithstanding the claim that ‘only narrow use’ was made ‘of information from Steele’s sources,’ the Democrats end up acknowledging that ‘only narrow use’ actually means significant use,” writes McCarthy in the National Review.
Schiff’s memo comes weeks after Nunes released his four-page bombshell report that raised serious questions over how the DOJ used the Clinton-financed Trump dossier to obtain FISA warrants against at least one Trump associate.
Congressional leaders -such as Sen. Chuck Grassley- have vowed to get to the bottom of whether former Obama officials used the shady document to illegally spy on the Trump campaign ahead of the 2016 election.
h/t Town Hall