Approximately 80% of potential asylum cases at the US-Mexico border are not legitimate and don’t meet the appropriate requirements for entry into the United States, said the Director of Homeland Security Wednesday.
DHS Boss Kirstjen Nielsen was speaking with Fox News when she outlined the stunning statistics; adding roughly 20% of asylum seekers are eventually granted resident-status by federal immigration judges.
“The way the system works right now the threshold under law is so low that about 80 percent pass that initial interview, but only 20 percent are granted asylum by a judge, which tells us that 80 percent of that is either just a flat-out fraud or somebody who thinks they can come here because they want a job here,” said Nielsen.
“That’s not asylum. Or ‘I want to reunify with my family.’ That’s not asylum. ‘I just want to come to the United States’ — not asylum. We have legal ways to do that, but it’s not through asylum,” she added.
The Director’s comments come just days after the so-called ‘Migrant Caravan’ of Central American immigrants arrived at the US-Mexico border, with many seeking asylum in the United States.
BORDER SHOWDOWN: Migrant ‘Caravan’ Arrives at US CUSTOMS in San Diego
Hundreds of migrant workers from Central America ended their month-long journey through Mexico and arrived at the US border Sunday; attempting to cross into San Diego and claim asylum-status as early as Monday morning.
Despite weeks of legal drama and comments from the President demanding Mexican authorities disband the ‘caravan,’ the undocumented immigrants are poised to file paperwork with federal agents; hoping to receive legal-resident status in the US.
US authorities have so-far refused entry to the Central Americans, saying the customs checkpoint has “reached capacity.”
“At this time, we have reached capacity at the San Ysidro port of entry for CBP (Customs and Border Protection) officers to be able to bring additional persons traveling without appropriate entry documentation into the port of entry for processing,” Commissioner Kevin McAleenan told Fox News in a statement.
He said the immigrants “may need to wait in Mexico as CBP officers work to process those already within our facilities.”
Read the full story here.
‘CARAVAN’ CHAOS: DOJ Charges 11 Migrants with ‘ILLEGAL ENTRY’
The Department of Justice filed charges against at least 11 individuals associated with the ‘migrant caravan’ that arrived at the US-Mexico border over the weekend; raising the stakes as hundreds of undocumented workers seek asylum in the United States.
“The Department of Justice has filed complaints against 11 individuals believed to be members of the Central American migrant caravan, accusing them of illegally entering the United States,” writes the Daily Caller.
According to police reports, 10 migrants face misdemeanor charges for illegally entering the United States, with one immigrant facing a possible felony for entering the United States after being previously deported.
The charges signal a harsh US response to the nearly 200 migrants attempting to enter the country at the San Diego border station.
Earlier this week, American officials denied entry for the ‘caravan,’ citing the border crossing as “full” and unable to process any further immigration requests “at this time.”
h/t Daily Caller