A “steady trickle” of Central American immigrants traveling with the ‘migrant caravan’ are slowly entering the United States illegally across the southern border; eventually turning themselves over to federal agents rather than wait for months in Mexico.
According to the Associated Press, “A steady trickle of Central American migrants have been finding ways to climb over, tunnel under or slip through the U.S. border wall to plant their feet on U.S. soil and ask for asylum.”
The migrants breached the US-Mexico border with the hopes of avoiding months of wait times as thousands apply for asylum at American Port of Entry across the region.
“But by word of mouth, some have realized they can simply cross into U.S. territory, largely uninhibited by Mexican authorities. In twos or threes — occasionally by the dozen — they arrive at the border wall and manage to get over. Often within minutes, border officers quickly arrive to escort them to detention centers and begin ‘credible fear” interviews,’ adds the AP.
The revelation comes just days after Sen. Ted Cruz introduced legislation that would allocate upwards of $25 billion for President Trump’s signature campaign promise: The border wall.
Read the full story here.
CARAVAN CRISIS: DHS Confirms More than ‘500 Criminals’ Traveling with ‘Migrant Caravan’
The Department of Homeland Security issued a stark warning regarding the approaching ‘migrant caravan’ Monday; confirming at least ‘500 criminals’ are traveling with the Central American immigrants.
DHS officials made the stunning announcement during a conference call with reporters Monday afternoon; saying “most of the caravan members are not women and children” but are comprised of mostly single adult males or teenagers.
“More than 500 criminals are traveling with the migrant caravan that’s massed on the other side of a San Diego border crossing,” writes Fox News.
“All legal options are on the table and we have been negotiating with all our partners in central America with ways to deal with the caravan,” said one official.
Unfortunately, some members of the caravan are purposely causing disruptions at our border ports of entry. There is a legal and illegal way to enter the US. We have deployed additional forces to protect our border. We will enforce all our laws.
— Secretary Kirstjen M. Nielsen (@SecNielsen) November 19, 2018
“Unfortunately, some members of the caravan are purposely causing disruptions at our border ports of entry,” tweeted Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen. “There is a legal and illegal way to enter the U.S. We have deployed additional forces to protect our border.”
Read the full report at Fox News.
CARAVAN CRISIS: Migrants Launch ‘HUNGER STRIKE’ to Protest Mexican Police Blocking US Border
A “handful” of Central American migrants launched a “hunger strike” this week; telling reporters they’re protesting the Mexican authorities currently blocking them from reaching the United States border.
According to Reuters, Mexican authorities began transporting hundreds of immigrants to new facilities to ease the burden on Tijuana residents and local police.
“A handful of the thousands of Central American migrants camped out at the U.S.-Mexican border waiting to plead their case for asylum in the United States launched a hunger strike on Thursday to protest the Mexican police blocking their way,” writes Reuters.
“What the police are doing is unfair. The truth is we are fighting for our rights,” said one member of the ‘caravan.’ “Why are (the police) treating us like this if we’re not causing them or the Mexican people any trouble?”
President Trump threatened to “permanently” close key sections of the US-Mexico border earlier this week should the crisis continue to escalate.
Read the full story here.